Phoenix Glass Company brown satin finish vase with large sculpted flying geese.
6 lbs. no chips or scratches.
A short discussion of Phoenix Glass:
The Phoenix Glass Co. was formed in 1880 in Monaca, Pennsylvania and like many other glass companies at that time, they initially thrived on the market for oil and gas lamp chimneys. Moving on to making lamps, globes, shades and electric light bulbs, they formed alliances with a number of glassworks and individuals who could bring specialist glass-making skills to Phoenix. During the 1880’s and 1890’s they produced a large volume of colored cut glass, etched glass, hand decorated glass, and fancy colored art glass, such as mother-of-pearl brown satin finish glass which they patented in 1885.
However, the name Phoenix today is primarily associated with the Sculptured Art Glass which they produced from 1933 to 1958. This glass was hand blown into special molds which had mold joints following the pattern in the glass to avoid obvious mold lines. These patterns had bold designs raised up very prominently from the background. Contrasting colors were applied either to the background or the relief designs, and then fired or baked onto the glass at temperatures over 1000 degrees Fahrenheit.
For a time during the 1930’s Phoenix had the molds for making this kind of glass on loan from the Consolidated Lamp and Glass Company, which had closed down temporarily to avoid running at a loss. From 1933 to 1936 Phoenix produced Consolidated’s Martele designs under the name Phoenix Reuben line. There were differences in the glass quality and the colors used, which are recorded in specialist books on Phoenix glass. On the whole, Phoenix used only one color and the contrasting color of the glass; they did not use multi-coloring (apart from some experimental pieces produced in the 1970’s by Jeanette Shade and Novelty Company for Phoenix).
In 1936 the Martele molds were returned to Consolidated. But Phoenix was already marketing its own designs in Sculptured glass, which used very similar techniques. Their Wild Rose vase was virtually identical to the Consolidated vase called Dogwood, but the coloring and finish were usually different. Phoenix produced an extensive range of Sculptured glass designs which were different from those produced by Consolidated; and apart from the period 1933 to 1936, the Consolidated designs were not produced by Phoenix. Because there seems to be so much confusion between the two companies, it is worth stating very clearly that Phoenix Glass and the Consolidated Lamp and Glass Company were quite separate companies at all stages.
Phoenix stopped making their Sculptured Art Glass in 1958, but there were some later products made from the Phoenix molds. The Davis-Lynch Company borrowed some molds and made a few hundred vases in plain colours (no contrasting coloring) in the late 1960’s. Anchor Hocking took over Phoenix Glass in 1970, and in 1976 they also had some Sculptured pieces produced in solid plain colors without any contrasting colouring. Their have been special pieces made for Phoenix workers and for special commemorative occasions, in small numbers. Phoenix is now part of Anchor Hocking Industrial Glass, and no longer makes art glass.